About Me

My photo
Texas, United States
Welcome to my blog. What is a triathlon? It's a swim, bike and run usually in that order. My goal is to give exposure and insight to triathlons along with encouraging living a healthy life style. My post will also contain my collective thoughts pertaining to my training experiences. Feel free to send an email to ej@trilifeblog.com with any feedback or questions you may have. facebook: www.facebook.com/TriLifeBlog

Monday, April 9, 2012

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas Recap

Before I get into my blog I wanted to say thank you to all my fellow triathlon friends who I ran into at Galveston. It was good to see the group of Tri Junkies, Billy and Surge from the valley, several local DFW tri clubs and of course the rEvolution Multisport group.

Galveston 70.3 was an “A” race for me this year. Though I had some rough training patches along the way due to injury. I trained through a lower abdominal strain, a growing strain and a tendon issue above my right Achilles which kept me from running the three weeks leading up to Galveston. Pushing injuries aside the thought of pushing anything less than 110% come race day never crossed my mind.

Not being able to run for three weeks played a mean mind game on me. I’ve been injured before but, I usually bounced back within a day or two. The week leading up to the event I was finally able to put in two short 3 mile runs. The tendon was a non issue. I could feel something there but, it wasn’t painful.

I arrived in Galveston on Friday. I made my way to the expo and I ran into several athletes I knew. That helped me out tremendously. Seeing familiar and friendly faces gave me new energy. My mood was turning for the better. I was starting to look forward to race day.

Friday was an important sleep day for me. I wanted to make sure I got at least 8 hours sleep that night. My plan was to stay in bed for as long as I could which ended up being 8 a.m. That was nice to sleep late for a change.

Saturday was going to be simple. I was going to drive the bike route, get a short ride/run in, check my bike into transition, get my race gear and hydration ready and relax. Saturday flew by and I found myself walking around the expo scoping out the transition area. I wanted to make certain I wasn’t going to get lost in the sea of bikes. I found a good marker coming out of the swim and another good marker coming back off the bike.

I was able to get into bed at a decent time on Saturday night. My plan was to get up at 4:30 a.m. Sunday morning to beat the transition rush. I was going to try and sneak in another 30 minute nap but, that didn’t workout.

As I got ready for the race I was pretty relaxed. I knew going into this race that I was not where I wanted to be with my training but, it was okay. I was going to give it my best and enjoy the day. I was really looking forward to the swim. The bayside water was very calm. The morning temperature felt good but, I knew that wasn’t going to last.

Could cover was predicted to last until 12 noon. The pros went off at 7 a.m. my wave went off at 7:55 a.m. Which is just about the same time the sun broke through the clouds. Oh well, so much for 12 noon. J

Over the past 3 seasons the swim has always been my weak link. I was hoping for a little quicker time in this event. I felt pretty good in the water. I had to avoid a few swimmers who were zig zagging in front of me. I decided to avoid the traffic and swam on the out skirts of the swim course. As quickly as we started the swim we were done and I made quick work of my wet suit. T1 felt pretty good. I knew I was going to be 8 to 10 minutes off my age group leaders coming out of the water so I would have to push on the bike.

The bike was a pancake flat out and back course. There was a cross wind/head wind on the way out and a tail wind on the way back in. I push it pretty hard on the way out and it showed once I came off the bike on T2 and started my run.

My plan was to come off the bike and run as hard as I could for 13.1 miles. My worries of the tendon injury resurfacing flew out the window with my quads tightening up on me. The first 1 to 3 miles of the run were tough. Not only was it hot and humid but, my quads were on the verge of cramping. The thought of having to walk crossed my mind so I eased up on the pace and my quads finally settled down.

I was having a pretty good run. Yes, it was hot and humid but, I was running. That was huge for me. It had been 3 weeks since I was unable to run and I was so happy to be able to run. At about mile 6 my timing chip band slide down my ankle and it started to rub the lower back side of my ankle raw.

I thought about stopping to adjust it but, then I also knew that there was a chance of cramping if I did. I decided to run with it and bandage the wound later. As I came to the end of my three loop ½ marathon run I was excited that I was finishing injury free. I put fourth my best effort and I would be able to walk away with my head high knowing that I will be back stronger and faster.

Race Stats

Swim Time: 38:22 (missed my swim time by 3 mins)
I was in 137th place coming out of the water in my age group.
I was in 972nd place coming out of the water overall.

T1: 2:43

Bike Time: 2:30:53 (missed my bike time by 5 mins)
I was in 35th place coming off the bike in my age group.
I was in 274th place coming off the bike overall.

T2: 1:45

Run Time: 1:29:29 (missed my run time by 5 mins)
I finished in 15th place in my age group
I finished in 132nd overall.

Total Time: 4 hrs 43 mins 12 sec  (Missed my goal time by 13 minutes).

Thank you for reading this blog entry. As always feel free to email me any questions or comments you may have.


No comments:

Post a Comment